Overview of village hall community survey results.
The survey was carried out during the summer months of 2019. A total of 500 survey forms were handed out with 195 returned. Forms were also available on the village hall website. The primary school council was also interviewed.
What respondents said:
- We use the village hall more than Canolfan Dyffryn
- The village hall is in a great location, good parking, community asset, lots of space, historical and full of character
- Canolfan Dyffryn is modern, good for youth, sport and easy access to green space
- Village hall should be modernised, improved toilets, kitchen, heating and disabled access
- Canolfan Dyffryn is industrial, gloomy, underused
- Refurbish the hall!
What committee members have been told:
A survey of the main hall carried out last summer by structural engineer Roger Casey reported:
- The steel bases of the main hall are deteriorating
- The wooden floor is in poor shape underneath
- The drains are failing
- Main hall ceiling is poor
- Festival hall in good shape
- A retired civil engineer resident in the village read the survey and in his professional opinion recommended demolition of the main hall
What committee members are considering:
- Demolish the main hall and rebuild on same footprint with extra storage
- Retain character of frontage
- Refurbish festival hall
- New toilets and kitchen – possibly relocated in hall
- Eco heating (poss solar panels)
- Disabled access (mandatory)
- Line parking area with painted bays
- Planning permission to be applied for. Costings worked out.
- Hall project officer will compile Stage 1 community fund (lottery bid) once costings and planning achieved. If successful project will get green light for Stage 2.
- Stage 2 has to be completed within a set time period of 16 weeks.
- Decision by end of year if all goes well. If successful work could start by early 2021.
- Matchfunding bids to be prepared for the Welsh Assembly and Ceredigion County Council plus hall’s own fundraising.
Questionnaire breakdown (195 replies).
How often do you use the village hall? Often 40%, occasionally 36% never 2% ( usage 76%)
How often do you use CD? Often? 4.5% occasionally 12%, never 55% (usage 16.5%)
What are the best things about the village hall? Location 25%, parking 16.5%, stage, floor and space all at 6%, community asset 8%
Best things about CD? Sport 12% For youth 9.5%
What could be improved in village hall? Modernise 32%, heating 16.5%, kitchen 13%, décor 10.5%, toilets 9.5%
Preferred solution: Demolish and rebuild 19.5%, refurbish 77%, relocate 6%
Ages under 35 7.5%, 35-60 32% 60 or over 50.5%